Linux and Digital Voice Recorders

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Mon Jun 13 20:05:26 CDT 2005

I've just bought an Olympus VN-480PC. I did so knowing it comes with no
OS X software, and was unlikely to have Linux support, so no gripes
about being duped or anything.

I plugged it into my laptop in the shop and it's recognised correctly by
the USB subsystem. Google suggests that's all that happens on OS X too.

Australians here will have heard of "mutual obligation," in one context
also called "work for the dole." I've just discovered that work on OSS
software can count as the recipient's obligation (I think Jeff had a
hand in that).

What I'd like to see is
a) Owners of these devices in particular to mention to the Olympus folk
the desirability of Linux software
b) Folk to make the point that software suppert for Linux needn't be a
great cost to Olympus - release the specs, ask for interested helpers.
c) Those with the skills to offer their help.
d) Where truthful, make the point that your computer does not have any
vendor drivers excepting those contributed to Linux by vendors such as
Adaptec - that is, the vendors have no distribution problems, users can
help fix problems, & products from those vendors "just work" when
plugged in.