Online Article: "Does 'community' still exist in open source?"

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 21:13:27 CDT 2005

Newsforge: "Does 'community' still exist in open source?"
http://trends.newsforge.com/trends/05/06/08/2017218.shtml?tid=29

in which Ubuntu is used as an example of a distro with a strong community focus:

"A friend told me recently that he was leaving SUSE ... forever. [...]
Still, his reasoning intrigued me. He felt that there wasn't enough
community support for SUSE. Or Red Hat. He was leaving the large,
commercial distributions for Ubuntu, a newcomer with a strong
community focus. In his opinion, the best companies are those that
foster communities and then supplement them with add-ons, extensions,
etc. Community comes first. The worst are those that want to own
everything and let the community nibble at the edges. "

--
Daniel Robitaille