London bombings toll rises to 38

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 8 05:06:32 CDT 2005

[Moving to sounder@, where this is more appropriate.]

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 08:38:22AM +0200, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 11:27 +0500, Mustafa Abbasi wrote:
> > umm while this is sad what does it have to do with ubuntu.
>
> Well, God himself (Mark S.) lives in London IIRC, so Ubuntu could well
> have died all of a sudden ! Ubuntu's server, and God #2 (Colin W.) are
> also based in England, although I am not sure if they live in London...

Um, er, I think I'm flattered. ;-) Matt Zimmerman is a much better
candidate for God #2, and while he's in London at the moment, he's OK,
as are all other Canonical staff and more generally all the Ubuntu
developers I know of in London.

For what it's worth, I'm in Cambridge, which is about fifty miles from
London.

As far as our servers are concerned, I can only quote James Troup: "not
that anything short of city-ending level destruction could take out the
DC".

As many people have observed, while yesterday's attacks were disruptive
and the loss of life was sad and deplorable, it's not the first time
London has been bombed, and it probably won't be the last; I grew up in
Belfast so I have to confess that my attitude to such things is rather
blasé due to over-exposure, although this was a worse attack than what
most people there would consider "usual".