Applications in next Ubuntu

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 07:45:24 CST 2005

> Having used it recently in GIMP, I agree. it sucks. but that's only cos I'm
> now used to the idea that menus should be on a menu bar, and I really would
> rather not have to break a paradigm common to all my computing experiences
> since 1993 or thereabouts. I find myself looking for a menu then realising I
> click to get there.

It requires some pretty amazing feats of dexterity to navigate the
menus. The only saving grace for the app is that it allows you to
"tear" off the menus, but even that's a pretty unsatisfying hack. Ah
well, it sounds like the next version might be fixing this "little"
problem (I suspect it is a pretty serious impediment to
implementation... I actually llike GIMP but still have to use
PhotoShop b/c (a) it's soooooo much faster to apply filters (I could
fix that by upgrading to a faster computer ;) & (b) the menu layout is
far easier to access)