Experiment :-)

Emil Oppeln-Bronikowski opi at cyb3r.org
Wed Jan 19 09:39:20 CST 2005

 Let the experiment begin!

 I just got new box on my desk. It's rather fast x86, based on Celeron.
I decited to split my stuff, and move databases and apache on some
computer in rack, and leave my desktop machine to be actual desktop not
a semi-server used by +3 people. Here's the experiment keypoints:

 * Run Ubuntu (kinda obvious;-)
 * Use packages in main only, I'll explain later
 * Write a raport ;-)

 Why do I want to run system with software that sits in main? I want to
see if I'd be able to do my job without getting stuff
from ,,unsupported'' places. This should be a experience that would lead
me to knowledge what is missing in main, what is useless (if
something;-), and will ,,Jon Doe'' be lucky with sutch desktop. Because
I've moved all my ,,geeky'' stuff to other computer, this one will be
used for reading e-mails, SSHing into server, webbrowsing and PIM stuff.
So, I'll be more like ,,Jon Doe'' than a poweruser.

 At the end I want to see if Ubuntu can be deployed by our company as
Open Desktop Solution. There is quite a demand for a e-mail/web machines
that cost less that a computer with Windows. Also, we can provide
service and mirror of packaged for people inside our WAN.

 Hell, with some spare CPU cycles even Evolution seems to be nice. BTW:
I've put wrong hostname for my POP3 server, and I've got
http://www.opi.mnc.pl/badhost_e.png - this. Is that normal, or should I
fill a bugraport?