fwd: GNOME at Asia Source

Benj. Mako Hill mako at canonical.com
Tue Feb 8 14:06:00 CST 2005

<quote who="Jeff Waugh" date="2005-02-08 23:14:48 +1100">
> I am at Asia Source at Bangalore
> (http://www.tacticaltech.org/asiasource), an eight day hands-on
> workshop aimed at building the technical skills of those working
> with NGOs in South and South East Asia.
>
> All the systems in the lab (at least the migration and the l10n
> labs) currently have Ubuntu installed, and except for a few laptops,
> I have not seen many non GNOME desktops around.
>
> We are using GNOME for the Migration Track, and there are people
> using the Linux desktop for the first time, and they seem to be
> absolutely comfortable with it.

Tactical Tech's source events are very cool. I was a facilitator at the
first source even (Summer Source) in Croatia in 2003. I even
considered going along to Asia source but couldn't make them.

We sent a pile of CDs to this even as well (although evidently, it had
sounded like it was unsure if it was going to get there in time).

Supporting Free Software, and Ubuntu in particular, in non-profit
organizations is a great way to start as these are people who are
already philosophically aligned with us and are just waiting for a
distribution that fits their needs to come along and I think we all
agree that Ubuntu is uniquely well suited to come fill this void.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill