London-based Charity gives 40,000 PCs a fresh start .... (an Ubuntu opportunity?)

Paul Cooper pgc at openadvantage.org
Mon Feb 7 05:42:16 CST 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 09:55 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="David Cartwright">
>
> > The following CNET article discusses the work that London-based Computer
> > Aid International has done to refurbish PCs for schools, community
> > projects and non-profits >
> >
> > http://news.com.com/2102-1003_3-5563421.html?tag=st.util.print
> >
> > It has a target of 100,000 PCs by 2007.
> >
> > It sounds like a great opportunity to have Ubuntu pre-installed.
>
> Nice one!
>
> > Perhaps someone living in London could follow-up Computer Aid
> > International to discuss the advantages of pre-installing Ubuntu on all
> > future PCs it supplies.
>
> I wonder if OpenAdvantage would be interested in this... Paul? :-)

Unfortunately London is outside of our remit - however we have done some
work with Birmingham Voluntary Service Council and Access 2 Recycled
Technology who've done similar things so if anyone does get in contact
with them feel free to give them my number / email to talk about what
we've done up here (in the forward thinking bit of the UK ;-).

Paul

--
Paul Cooper                    |  Tel: 0121 634 1620
Assistant Director             |  Fax: 0121 634 1630