positive socio-religious engineering!

Mark Shuttleworth mark at canonical.com
Sat Feb 5 08:49:32 CST 2005

Andy Stone wrote:

> I came to Ubuntu for technical reasons, and have been very impressed
> on that level. It is my main desktop now. However, I've been more
> impressed with how Ubuntu and the community are really going for the
> big one - trying to bring folk together in a spirit of hope and
> co-operation. Startling if you think about it even in FOSS-world, yet
> so simply executed. I thank you all for the good vibe.

You're very welcome! The team and I very much want Ubuntu to be first
class in both technical and community terms. I've been amazed, and in
many cases moved, by the diversity and depth of contributions from every
corner of the globe.

I've no doubt there will be difficult and divisive issues ahead though,
so we will have to work at that tolerance. And as Ubuntu becomes more
widely used we'll have to continually remind ourselves and new members
of the community of the code of conduct.

One of my goals for this year is to make it easy for people to make
their own version of Ubuntu that is slightly different - or even very
different - from the mainline one. This will reduce the pressure on us
to get absolute consensus on every technical issue, and will also open
up space for more creative work, the best of which can quickly move into
the mainline. Kubuntu (a KDE desktop distro that shares much of the
Ubuntu base) will be the start of that trend. In this way we can make
tough decisions with regard to the mainline distro without alienating
people who have differing needs.

Cheers,
Mark