distrowatch comment: "Ubuntu Breezy Badger - is it too dumbed down? "

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Dec 30 21:09:16 GMT 2005

Scott wrote:

> Eric Dunbar wrote:

>>> I know. It's called the "we know what's good for users and they don't"
>>> approach.
>>>
>>> Not to worry, you're not alone. There are developers of all manner of
>>> operating systems, GUIs, programs and whatnot, who use the same
>>> approach.
>>
>> Every developer HAS TO USE the "we know what's good for users and they
>> don't" approach.
>
> How odd.
>>
>> WITHOUT IT, YOU CANNOT WRITE SOFTWARE FOR OTHERS!!!
>
> And why not?

That's not a fair question - because Eric's premise is completely wrong :-)

I've been "writing software for others" (and I'm getting really tired of the
shouting) for 30 years, and while I would agree that it's pretty important
for the developer to have a good feeling that he or she _does_ know what's
good for users, I assure you that if you take the position that users
_don't_ know what's good for them you won't get any repeat business (and I
reject any implication that Ubuntu/Debian developers in general take that
attitude, anyway).
--
derek