distrowatch comment: "Ubuntu Breezy Badger - is it too dumbed down? "

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 14:27:20 GMT 2005

On 12/30/05, Anders Karlsson <trudheim at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/30/05, Scott <angrykeyboarder at angrykeyboarder.com> wrote:
> > Eric Dunbar wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > > Every developer HAS TO USE the "we know what's good for users and they
> > > don't" approach.
> >
> > How odd.
> > >
> > > WITHOUT IT, YOU CANNOT WRITE SOFTWARE FOR OTHERS!!!
> >
> > And why not?
>
> Let's pretend you are going to write a spreadsheet application Scott..
> Just for arguments sake yeah? Let's for arguments sake say that you
> include a ROUND() function in your application, because it makes sense
> and it is a rather handy function after all. You are at that moment
> making assumptions about your users (if you intend for anyone else
> ever to use that spreadsheet application that is). You are at that
> very moment saying "I know what is good for my users" - whether you
> like it or not.

<snip>

> Out of interest, how would you go about writing software if you did
> not make assumptions about how potential users would use the software?

You'd give the user a soldering iron, a furnace, a pile of silicates
and various plastics and tell them to design their own word processor
from first principles (i.e. build the chips, build the computer, etc

Or... (if you were willing to accept some assumptions about how a
potential user would use the software... i.e. programming language,
CPU and OS were acceptable "limitations")... give them a C++ manual
and tell them to write their word processor from scratch ;-)

Enough silliness for the morn.

Eric.