distrowatch comment: "Ubuntu Breezy Badger - is it too dumbed down? "

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Sat Dec 24 13:22:58 GMT 2005

On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 04:34:25PM -0700, Scott wrote:
> >We understand that from your emails to the list, but we have
> >been taking and continue to take a different approach.
> I know. It's called the "we know what's good for users and they
> don't" approach.

But they really don't.  If anyone starts e.g. jumping off their
windows, it's no excuse not to try *thinking* before doing things.

> Not to worry, you're not alone. There are developers of all
> manner of operating systems, GUIs, programs and whatnot, who
> use the same approach.

Scott, I think there was enough "con"s for doing that, here too.
I have yet to see a *single* sane "pro" (meaning, not "aa-a-a!
wa-a-a-na it tha-a-t wa-a-a-y-i-e-e!" -- answered "grow up").

Distribution makers *can* have their own point of view, reason
to do what they do, and even habits.  There are so much of linux
distros because the people are different.  If someone likes
Red Hat approach of big dumb packages and full default installs,
so be it -- let them stay with Red Hat.  It's just fine.

We've learned that....

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike at altlinux.ru>