Forums vs Mailing Lists

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at ubuntu.com
Fri Dec 23 04:36:48 GMT 2005

<quote who="Daniel Robitaille">

> I'm not sure it is a good thing on the long run to have a growing
> resentement that we have 2 separate community, one mailing list based, and
> one forum based, and the developers tend to hang in one side of the fence.
> But is there anything we can do?  It's not like we can force people to
> join the forums, and we cannot force people to join the mailing lists.

This has been tugging at my conscience for a while now, too. While I would
like to suggest that we have every mailing list mirrored on the forums, I
know that many of the mailing list contributors [1] regard most of the stuff
coming from the forums as noise. It takes me a long time to pluck up the
courage to read ubuntu-users these days, because there's just so much there;
I can't imagine reading that *and* the forums every day! :-) But I'm trying
to at least read ubuntu-users more often regardless. Now there's an exciting
New Year's resolution!

This is a tough one, and I don't think there's a simple answer (social *or*
technical)... Would love to hear suggestions for how we can tackle this.

- Jeff

[1] technical contributors ('developers') or not

--
linux.conf.au 2006: Dunedin, New Zealand               http://linux.conf.au/

  "Whoever wrote [the Twisted documentation] uses a vivid and interesting
         style of prose which triggers pleasure." - Francois Pinard