online banking and strategic Ubuntu upgrade opportunities

MF MagicFab at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 04:55:00 GMT 2005

Bizubu a écrit :
> Some financial institutions have posted notices that soon customers will
> no longer be permitted to do online banking via windows98 systems.  This
> seems like a good opportunity to help a lot of people escape to the
> enlightened domain of Free Software. [...]
Interesting. Google has plenty of references when searching for Windows
98 banking (no quotes). The same situations seems to apply to Win98SE
and WinME. Also remember Firefox 1.5 is supposedly OK with Win98:
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/system-requirements.html

An example of bank warnings:
https://www.vancity.com/MyMoney/OnlineBanking/AboutOnlineBanking/Requirements/?action=goto

quote:
"Microsoft Corporation has announced that its support for Windows 98,
Windows 98 Second Edition and Windows Millennium Edition will cease
effective July 1, 2006. This includes support for components of these
operating systems, such as Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (IE6).

As a result, we will no longer support online banking on browsers used
in combination with Windows 98/98SE/Me after June 30th, 2006. We
recommend that you upgrade your operating systems before June 30, 2006.
While we will no longer support these platforms, online banking will
continue to work as it does today."

And for the funny quote of the day, check the phrase at the very end of
this page:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/usingwindows/internet/Articles/002Feb/encryption.asp

I don't think an official call from Canoncial would have as much effect
as a grassroots campaign, perhaps through blogs / forums etc.

Gotta sleep ;)