Ubuntu is under attack

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 04:33:54 GMT 2005

On 12/19/05, Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not convinced it's going to reduce the cost of the machines,
> unless they contract out their design (and, Apple hasn't had the best
> of luck contracting out... in the past 8 years they've put out some
> revolutionary computer designs that force the rest of the industry to
> follow).
>
> The price difference between PPC and i86 CPUs is negligible. The whole
> Mac computer is built out of standard chips so they're not likely to
> realise many savings on that front, I suspect -- only if they adopt
> Intel mobos can I see them saving some real cash, but that opens up a
> whole kettle of fish with clone users installing Mac OS X on their
> machine (unless that's Apple's plan... to go head-to-head with
> Microsoft for desktop share by offering an OS that can compete with
> MS, on the same hardware).
>
> I'm inclined to suspect that they have something else up their sleeve,
> but, I guess we'll only be sure of that in a few years ;-).

One of the articles I read said it was to do with supply and cost,
that the intel promised a stronger supply chain and in doing that
would reduce production cost immediately _and_ later down the track.

But, IMPO I wouldn't be surprised if it was more to do with the fact
that x86 is the common denominator across the world.
They want to make it easier for other software/hardware produces to
produce stuff for their platform, thereby making it a more relevant
choice in the general market rather than _just_ the graphic designers
and yuppies market. ;-)

once again IMPO, I liked their old hardware very much. But really
really hated their GUI, so for me there is no attraction at all to
apple anymore. and I personally believe this going to increase Apple
and Linux market share with the only loser here being MS.
Can't say I'm too broken up by that either.

--
Ubuntu Breezy 5.10
  I will write on a huge cement block "By accepting this brick through