blog entry: "Installation Face Off: Linux or Windows"

Shawn McMahon smcmahon at eiv.com
Fri Dec 16 13:55:27 GMT 2005

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 03:10:25PM +0200, Michael Shigorin said:

> Commanding tools to do things, or dragging stuff around,
> is a matter of getting used to IMHO.  One of a few reasons

I'll second that with some real-world experience.  I once ran an ISP in
a small rural Oklahoma town.  Not only were we the first access most of
our customers had to the Internet, but many bought their first computers
for the occasion, so we offered free installation and an hour of
instruction.

The older the customer, the more likely it was that "move the cursor
over to foo and click on bar" would be met with "move the what where and
do what?"  Some had trouble grasping the concept, or at least executing
it, even an hour later.  You'd be amazed how many could not click on the
button without removing their hand entirely from the mouse first, and
how many couldn't keep the mouse still enough while clicking so as to
remain on the desired icon or menu option.

Drag and drop would have been literally impossible for some of these
people, and some in this category had college degrees.

--
Shawn McMahon  | When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new
EIV Consulting | bicycle.  Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work