Lost jobs due to open source

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Tue Aug 23 07:43:50 CDT 2005

Ananda Putra wrote:
> On 8/23/05, Jeff Waugh <jeff.waugh at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
>>Let your friends know that beyond the monopoly-holding price-gougers and a
>>few lucky niche providers, software alone doesn't really make a lot of money
>>for anyone. The money is in the services and support... and that's happening
>>already, it's not a daydream of a FOSS-happy Utopia.
>

> I agree with u, Jeff..
> Yet I want to know where/when/how do i start to provide those kind of
> service & support.
>
> I'm new in FOSS (also in IT business), and spesifically really
> interested to Ubuntu Project. I have some friends who have same vision
> with me, and we want to try to make a business by providing Ubuntu
> desktop service and support officially in our country (Indonesia).
> Could somebody show me the way?? :D
> I'm sorry if OOT.. :)
>
> Thanks in advance..

Q. What do you _like_ to do?

If you like installing and configuring stuff, explore ways of making
money installing, configuring and supporting Linux firewalls, servers,
even desktops (a real estate agent near here runs Ubuntu on its desktop
machines.

if you like writing stuff, adopt a project & provide patches, bug fixes,
documentation. highlight the stuff you do in your resume & job
applications. Note, this does not have to be a fulltime job:-)