an interesting comparison of the open source development process and guerilla warfare

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Fri Aug 12 20:25:22 CDT 2005

Shawn McMahon wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 05:29:29AM -0400, Ed Cogburn said:
>
>>In one of the articles they even go on to contradict themselves when they
>>talk about independent groups sharing information without even "liking" one
>>another.  I'd argue that has nothing to do with OS development at all, as
>>OS is generally a collaborative, but decentralized, operation.  The vast
>>majority of OS Devs don't have a problem with one another, and are largely
>>like-minded.  What I do believe is that the successful "tactics" mentioned
>

> You're interpreting "liking" too narrowly.  Linux and the BSDs freely
> borrow ideas from each other, despite a fundamental disagreement on
> licensing.  Neither adopts the other's license strategy because they
> don't "like" it.

People use and develop tools to use cdrecord, but I can imagine the
message from this command and other writings of the author irritate a
lot of folk:
cdrecord -inq
A chap who used to work at redhat extended cdrecord to provide dvd-writing
ability. js was quite rude about it - in public - and has similarly
flattering assertions about the broken-down Linux SCSI subsystem.