online article: world's first open-source Point Of Sale system uses Ubuntu

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Mon Aug 8 19:59:54 CDT 2005

Michael Shigorin wrote:

>>>*gasp*
>>>"The Rise of 'Worse Is Better'" comes to mind.  Not that I
>>>think PHP is entirely evil or MySQL is meek but using beta
>>>versions for somewhat mission-critical applications is not
>>>going to help FLOSS credibility.
>>
>>Provoked, I cast my eye over the relevant websites. PHP% looks
>>like it's the latest stable release.
>

> I don't mind them writing it there, it's just that infamous
> "latest stable" Linux 2.6 is only getting somewhat stable this
> year.  I'd consider getting it on servers probably at the same
> old rule-of-thumb's 2.6.20... (been watching it on at least one
> host since 2.5.68)

RHEL and Fedora Core users seem happy with 2.6. I've been using it some
time myself with no stability problems (except on my laptop and Id' not
assume 2.4 would be better there),

>>Using mysql 5 might be a little like Unubtu pushing the
>>envelope. I'm not sure U fans should be casting stones here:-)
>

> Well I have a few friends in MySQL team and they keep telling 5.x
> is great and rock solid but I doubt they'd really recommend it
> for POS. (asked; the closer person's N/A right now)
>
> Oh well.  Hope they'll not trigger any of the remaining bugs ;-)

Well, _I_'d not use MySQL for POS, or willingly, for anything. The
question arises on the sql-ledger list from time to time, and I side
with those who don't thunk MySQL is up to it.

I had a discussion on a MySQL list some years ago, and the authors
didn't understand why floating-point (real) numbers are not good for
counting money <rolls eyes>.