online article: world's first open-source Point Of Sale system uses Ubuntu

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Mon Aug 8 11:14:37 CDT 2005

On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 11:10:34PM +0800, John wrote:
> >>MySQL 5 and PHP 5.
> >*gasp*
> >"The Rise of 'Worse Is Better'" comes to mind.  Not that I
> >think PHP is entirely evil or MySQL is meek but using beta
> >versions for somewhat mission-critical applications is not
> >going to help FLOSS credibility.
> Provoked, I cast my eye over the relevant websites. PHP% looks
> like it's the latest stable release.

I don't mind them writing it there, it's just that infamous
"latest stable" Linux 2.6 is only getting somewhat stable this
year.  I'd consider getting it on servers probably at the same
old rule-of-thumb's 2.6.20... (been watching it on at least one
host since 2.5.68)

> Using mysql 5 might be a little like Unubtu pushing the
> envelope. I'm not sure U fans should be casting stones here:-)

Well I have a few friends in MySQL team and they keep telling 5.x
is great and rock solid but I doubt they'd really recommend it
for POS. (asked; the closer person's N/A right now)

Oh well.  Hope they'll not trigger any of the remaining bugs ;-)

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike at altlinux.ru>