Apple's Tiger

Rui Tiago Cação Matos tiagomatos at
Thu Apr 28 14:24:22 CDT 2005

Hi all,

I just read this really good article on Tiger from Ars Technica [1]. Now,
I'm not a mac user and have actually only touched mac os X one or two
times. That being said I must say I was really impressed with several
things present on that article. And I'm not talking about flashy GUI
things, I'm talking about some really good technology that seems to be in
there, to name a few (that are most impressive to me): all the metadata
stuff and the potential it provides to build real-time indexing engines,
this launchd and lookupd daemons (which seem to even be open source!) and
the whole graphical engine stack.

I wonder if things like these can be developed in the distributed
environment that open source is. I mean, Apple has control over all the
stack down from the hardware so I think it is much easier for them to
integrate all this. What do you think?

Anyway this is a really great article that I recommend to any geek around
here ;-)