ubuntu cd handout at an ict event

Raphaël Berbain raphael.berbain at free.fr
Mon Apr 18 13:48:29 CDT 2005

* Daniel Robitaille:

> On Mon, 2005-18-04 at 06:18 +0100, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
>> I don't think we have good stats on live cd usage. I'm interested if you
>> guys think a live-cd-based installer (boot the live cd, like it, say
>> "install" and it does so) would be popular, as that's one area we could
>> devote resources.
>
> That option to install from a LiveCD seems to be relatively popular with
> Knoppix;

I think the install from LiveCD option is popular with Knoppix because
installing Debian is [perceived] as being hard.  Thus, I think Knoppix
is viewed as 2 products, really:  OT1H a LiveCD, and OTOH an easier
Debian installer system - well, basically a Debian installer with good
h/w detection.

Will Ubuntu be easier to install from the LiveCD ?  Since Ubuntu's
install CD h/w detection is as good as the LiveCD's, I don't think
there is a need to combine both.  Plus, Ubuntu's shipit program ships
both CDs.

Another pov is a simple cost/benefit analysis:  What does Ubuntu gain
by combining both functions on one CD ?  On the top of my head, that's
only one CD to ship, so maybe decreased shipit costs.  Plus, that's a
nice trick, some geek points.

OTOH, What does it lose ?  Sweat, time, resources, new bugs, new
support issues, new CD space constraints.

I'd vote for resources allocated to the install from floppy disks +
network problem over install from LiveCD, since it's a recurrent
request on the mailing lists.  Even if it's not that related, It would
also help market Ubuntu in the server space.