ubuntu cd handout at an ict event

Ben Francis lists at hippygeek.co.uk
Mon Apr 18 04:12:31 CDT 2005

Eric Feliksik wrote:

> Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
>
>> I don't think we have good stats on live cd usage. I'm interested if you
>> guys think a live-cd-based installer (boot the live cd, like it, say
>> "install" and it does so) would be popular, as that's one area we could
>> devote resources.

That sounds interesting. I've been thinking about a project to get
GNU/Linux CDs in Libraries in Lincolnshire (my home county in England)
after the idea was suggested by a member of the AFFS (www.affs.org.uk/).
The idea I came up with was to produce Ubuntu CDs (because of its
philosophy and usability) and get them in libraries with an accompanying
leaflet giving information on Free Software, Ubuntu and trying to tackle
issues like "How do I make my computer boot off the CD, it just goes
straight into Windows". The CDs could then be borrowed, copied and
returned! (I've not put this idea to the AFFS yet).

There would be two CDs, one which said "Try Me" (Hoary Live CD) and one
which said "Copy Me and Install Me" (Hoary Install CD). If these two CDs
could somehow be combined then it would be much simpler (and cheaper) to
do this. People like the idea of being able to try something free that's
not going to break their computer, but if there's no easy transition to
actually installing it this doesn't translate to long term users.

Additionally, it would make sense to replace the CDs after 6 months to
reflect the new Ubuntu releases and this could work out quite expensive,
a problem halved by consolidating two CDs to one.

Incidentally, I had no idea that the Live CD had functionality on a
Windows box.

> <snip>
> I think everybody agrees that any suboptimal solution should not be
> released at all, as it would do more harm than good. The Hoary install
> cd's are great.

Agreed.

Ben

--