ubuntu cd handout at an ict event

Eric Feliksik milouny at gmx.net
Mon Apr 18 02:52:00 CDT 2005

Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> I don't think we have good stats on live cd usage. I'm interested if you
> guys think a live-cd-based installer (boot the live cd, like it, say
> "install" and it does so) would be popular, as that's one area we could
> devote resources.

It would be 'nice'. No must.

Although it would probably make installing Ubuntu slightly more easy
accessible (also because the availability of installable cd's would
increase, as not everybody has both the live- and the install cd), we
should wonder how badly we want people to use Ubuntu (well, badly!).

Be aware that people who see the live-cd and don't undertake the action
to get the install cd probably drop Ubuntu anyway as soon as they
discover it can't play mp3's out of the box (I know we can't help that
due to patent issues). So an install-from-livecd feature would be cool,
but it's not realistic to think that it will increase Ubuntu's userbase.

(A small note on quality: The "install from live-cd" things I've seen in
the past (but that was over a year ago) on morphix, knoppix etc worked
'sometimes', and I think everybody agrees that any suboptimal solution
should not be released at all, as it would do more harm than good. The
Hoary install cd's are great.)

Eric