Why no mention of GNU?

John M. Gabriele john_sips_tea at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 12 13:10:31 CDT 2005

> [snip]
> I'm still deciding how/if I want to change the text on the first
> paragraph on the front page. It's the first sentence people will read
> and it needs to be abundantly clear.

It looks like you made a few small changes. (?)

I like it: "a complete Linux-based operating system" describes it
nicely. In fact, although I'd like at least a token reference
or link to GNU or the FSF -- like maybe parenthesized in that last
bullet item -- I have to admit that I like the front web page a
lot. :) Maybe you could make that "free" point to fsf.org and
"open source" point to osdl.org, maybe? I know it would make Eric
happy. ;)

> Here's my feelings:
> I think we can all agree that the important element here is one of
> principle. Ubuntu's stated philosophy is one of software freedom, zero
> cost, accessibility, and localization. I think we all agree this is a
> good thing.

That's the one thing that sticks out like a sore thumb to me -- that
vague term being used: "software freedom". I know what "free software"
is, and I know what "open source" is. I also know about the four
freedoms ( even listed further down on the philosophy page :) ) but
the term "software freedom" sounds like hand-waving to me. I re-read
the Ubuntu philosophy page
( http://www.ubuntulinux.org/ubuntu/philosophy/document_view ) and
it looks to me like things would be more clear if you just dropped
the ambiguous term "software freedom". i.e.:

| Free and open source software
| Ubuntu is a community driven project to create an operating system
| and a full set of applications using free and open source software.
| At the core of the Ubuntu Philosophy on free software are these
| central tenets:
| [snip]
(Note, "license" is misspelled on that page btw)

The licensing page ( http://www.ubuntulinux.org/ubuntu/licensing )
explains it all very nicely btw. :) Very nice.

> You and I will continue to use the terms GNU/Linux and "free software"
> because we think they better capture what we think is
> important.
> [snip]

Thanks for the reply Mako. You're turning this boat around --
I may yet install the old Hoary Hedgehog. :)

Do you Yahoo!?