Why no mention of GNU?

Eric Feliksik milouny at gmx.net
Tue Apr 12 11:39:28 CDT 2005

Benj. Mako Hill wrote:

> As Tollef pointed out in this thread, we decided early on that Ubuntu
> should be called "Ubuntu." Not Ubuntu Linux, not Ubuntu GNU/Linux, not
> anything else. Just Ubuntu.
Very clear and ok.

> (...)
>
> Here's my feelings:
>
> I think we can all agree that the important element here is one of
> principle. Ubuntu's stated philosophy is one of software freedom, zero
> cost, accessibility, and localization. I think we all agree this is a
> good thing.

Of course! :)

> You and I will continue to use the terms GNU/Linux and "free software"
> because we think they better capture what we think is
> important.
To me, that is very satisfying.

> (...)
>
> I think that the free software community has spent way too much time
> arguing about semantics. What's important is that we bring freedom to
> people. IMHO, the banner under which that freedom comes is less
> important.

I still think the 'banner' under which the freedom comes *is* important,
because otherwise people just care for the technical merits, if they're
there. Call me an RMS, but I insist ;)
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/ubuntu/philosophy states Ubuntu won't argue
about the differences between open source and free software, which is a
pragmatic and good think, IMO. I'm happy with what you said about 'You
and I will continue to use the terms GNU/Linux and "free software"', if
that's something official.

> Regards,
> Mako

Thank you,