Why no mention of GNU?

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at videotron.ca
Mon Apr 11 08:27:30 CDT 2005

J.B. Nicholson-Owens wrote:
> The FSF doesn't ask for that, they ask that when the GNU OS is being talked
> about, people include the word GNU to describe it.  Hence, GNU/Linux (or
> GNU+Linux, if you prefer) is the variant of the GNU OS using the Linux
> kernel.

Which bring an interesting question : is Linux (the kernel) part of the
GNU OS ?  The FSF people seem to believe so, but I never saw a statement
on the subject from Torvalds.  Wheter you believe Torvalds contribution
to be important or not, he still hold the copyright on the kernel as a
whole and steer its development.

Which, in turn, bring up a question I raised earlier in the discussion :
is Ubuntu a GNU project ?  It does'nt seem to me, thus I don't see the
point of using the GNU prefix in naming it.  I agree with the need to
give credit where due, I just don't think project naming is the right
place to do it.