Plug for Hotplug & updfstab-2.6-11

Kevin C. Smith kevin at linuxsmith.com
Sun Sep 19 18:17:20 CDT 2004

> On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 04:55:25PM -0500, Kevin C. Smith wrote:
>
>> The install went perfect, except for the "nvidia" driver. Not a big
>> deal for me, but maybe for someone new.
>
> What went wrong?  Does the nv driver not work for you, or did you want
> the additional features of the nvidia driver and it was not obvious
> where to get it?

The nv driver worked fine. Just noted that the binary "nvidia" driver was
installed, but the glx package and XF86Config not provided to support it.
It would be good if this all happen during install. Just a thought.

>> Now for the plug. I found this solution some time ago for hotpluging
>> usb devices into a Debian system. I offer it up for consideration:
>>
>> http://ccomb.free.fr/wiki/wakka.php?wiki=UsbMassStorageEnglish
>>
>> Currently: updfstab-2.6-11
>>
>> I am using this on my new Ubuntu system without trouble so far.
>
> We have chosen a different approach for Ubuntu, using pmount, which we
> feel provides a better balance of security, stability and usability.
> Hot-pluggable devices should work out of the box on Ubuntu without any
> configuration or third-party packages.  If it didn't work for you, we'd
> like to hear the specifics of the problem so that it can be corrected.
>
> --
> - mdz

Interesting.
I liked the updfstab approach because it modified /etc/fstab and therefore
gnome created an icon for mounting it. Before I added updfstab I plugged
in my externel usb harddrive and did not see the icon appear. I was able
to mount using "mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt" but wanted more.

I will look into this pmount more. Maybe I missed something? Does it also
work with gnome to provide the easy icon access in "Disks"? If so, it
didn't work with my externel usb hard drive (not a usb key, actual drive).

--
Kevin C. Smith