CD optimization

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Sat Sep 18 17:38:47 CDT 2004

Colin Watson wrote:

>On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 01:28:00PM +0000, John wrote:
>

>>Colin Watson wrote:

>>>It's completely trivial to customize. You can drop
>>>/.disk/base_include and /.disk/base_exclude files onto the CD.
>>>

>>I don't see that in any debootstrap package I've ever installed,
>>including the Ubunto version.
>>

>It's implemented in base-installer, not debootstrap.

Oh. I said debootstrap, you said debootstrap ....

>>>debootstrap really is the Right Answer to all sorts of questions, and
>>>it's therefore an essential component of the installer. The solution to
>>>problems encountered with it is to improve debootstrap and the code
>>>around it, not to throw it away.
>>>

>>remember any time that gets saved by users gets multiplied out to
>>enormous numbers.
>>

>Remember that the base system installation is the point where any
>non-control-freak user goes off and gets a cup of tea. A few seconds
>simply are not important enough to kill maintainability here. We've gone
>to a fair amount of effort to speed up the base installation as it is;
>throwing out debootstrap is *not* a place I am prepared to go.

So far, I keep coming back to find it waiting with some silly Q instraid
of getting on with it. Or congratulating me on my wonderful acquisition,
or something.

I don't think many installers will inderstand (I don't) why it cant do
the whole install before rebooting. Other distros do, and I read a
review of Caldera some years ago in which the reviewer said it didn't
reboot at all.

>>You might be releasing new images frantically now, but that won't always
>>be the case.
>>

>Look at our release schedule sometime :-)
>

>>A tool that exposes the content of a CD image and updates those contents
>>& contructs a new CD might work well.
>>

>That's not good enough for the release builds.

releases don't normally need patching. Daily builds, the other extreme,
should be able to be built mostly from what users already have - an
earlier build, new boot floppy image and updated packages.

That load I might be able track by modem. In contrat, when I tried to
rsync an ISO it got destroyed.