What package(s) are needed to install nvidia support ?

Mark Shuttleworth mark at hbd.com
Wed Sep 15 04:01:21 CDT 2004

John wrote:

> I am trying the role of user's advocate. I don't claim any particular
> coding skills; those I once had are sadly attrophied and/or inapplicable.
>
> The suggestion that someone with ideas should code them is often used
> as a pretty sad putdown, it shows a lack of respect and can be hurtful.
>
> If you want a product that is commercially viable, then it has to
> allow users to get on with their work, not researching endless howtos
> and reading code. I have some thoughts on that, but not the skills to
> do the work.

We couldn't agree more. Making Ubuntu a pleasure for typical non-expert
users is a key goal of the project, and you've already helped us take
several steps towards that goal, for which I'm grateful. But if you're
going to play advocate, please remember that not having the skills to
implement a proposed solution usually also means not having the skills
to decide which implementation is better.

I absolutely agree that we want it to be easy for a user to switch to
the binary proprietary drivers from NVidia and ATI if they really want
to despite being informed that the drivers are unsupportable and
potentially unstable, we've established that. As for the implementation,
you're arguing detail with people who have to do that work, and you'll
get a better result from them if you either contribute code or accept
that your suggestions are most useful when they are high-level
"usability goals", like "make it easy to install these Nvidia binary
drivers", rather than very implementation specific arguments.

Try Debian GNU/Linux. Software freedom for the bold, at www.debian.org
http://www.markshuttleworth.com/