Metapackages for linux-restricted-modules

Mark Shuttleworth mark at hbd.com
Wed Sep 15 02:25:42 CDT 2004

>I'm not sure we've written it down in so many words, but I think the
>stipulation that packages in restricted should be easy to remove sort of
>implies that packages (certainly important packages) in main shouldn't
>depend on them.

So let's codify (Mako please put this into the appropriate Policy doc):

"Dependencies Between Ubuntu Components"

1. Packages in Ubuntu Main MUST NOT Depend on packages in any other
component of Ubuntu. For example, a package in Main may not Depend on a
package in Restricted or Universe.
2. Packages in Ubuntu Restricted MAY Depend on packages in Ubuntu Main
or Restricted, but MUST NOT Depend on packages in Universe or any other
component of Ubuntu.
3. Packages in Ubuntu Universe MAY Depend on packages in any component
of Ubuntu.

Tweaks and edits welcome.

Try Debian GNU/Linux. Software freedom for the bold, at www.debian.org
http://www.markshuttleworth.com/