DVD burning in Warty

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Tue Sep 14 16:52:10 CDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 10:48:55AM -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 12:57:40PM +0100, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
>
> > John wrote:
> > >I've just won a battle to install a DVD burner on Woody; it was far
> > >too much trouble,
> >
> > We can do better... how's the dvd burner story on Warty, and can we
> > improve it with tweaks before release? It's too late for drastic changes
> > on that front for Warty, but we can add them to the Hoary plan.
>
> Today I installed Warty from scratch.  I plugged in my USB DVD writer, and
> burned a DVD with growisofs.  There was nothing to it whatsoever.
>
> What you _can't_ do is burn a DVD from Nautilus as you can a CD. :-/

I'm a liar.  I hadn't actually tried it, but it seems to support this just
fine.  Insert blank/rewritable DVD, right-click on ISO, Write to Disc.
Works perfectly out of the box on Warty.  Excellent!

The only gotcha (but it's a big one) is that with rewritables, if the disc
already contains a filesystem, it will be automounted on insert, and must be
unmounted before writing.  Currently, this means either using the command
line, or going into Computer->Disks, right-click, Unmount volume, neither of
which is discoverable.  :-/

--
 - mdz