What package(s) are needed to install nvidia support ?

Fabio Massimo Di Nitto fabbione at fabbione.net
Tue Sep 14 15:01:14 CDT 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> > > Simple, effective, and flexible.
> >
> > Dangerous imho. We should always start with free drivers that are known to
> > work and that are well tested. Sometimes more than commercial drivers.
>
> My understanding is that they are both provided by nvidia, and so probably
> based on the same code, but that the binary driver includes additional
> functionality.  Are there any documented cases of nvidia failing where nv
> works?

Yes, 2 of my workstations at home. On one i cannot use the max resolution
and the console was 'changing color' (if you remember ;)) and on the other
once i switch to X, i cannot go back to console or the machine freezes.

They both work with the nv driver.

Fabio

--
<user> fajita: step one
<fajita> Whatever the problem, step one is always to look in the error log.