What package(s) are needed to install nvidia support ?

James Gregory james at james.id.au
Tue Sep 14 00:34:44 CDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 07:21 +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, James Gregory wrote:

> > Just on this, I expected that installing the packages would alter my X
> > config, like the livna packages for fedora. I was quite surprised when I
> > had to edit my X configuration (I was unaware that using the reconfigure
> > script would do that for me). I think the expectation for Joe User would
> > be that installing drivers makes the hardware work straight away.
>
> You will have to use dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86. Automaticaly
> altering X config is not a good idea at all. The is only one case over
> several in which i can do it, and hounestly it is more trouble than joy.

Why do you believe that altering X config is a bad thing? The behaviour
seems inconsistent to me -- if I install a service, it gets started
automatically. If I go to any other operating system and install a
driver, I expect it to be loaded.

Is it that you think it shouldn't be loaded upon installation or that
performing this loading is likely to cause other headaches?

James.

--
James Gregory <james at james.id.au>