What package(s) are needed to install nvidia support ?

James Gregory james at james.id.au
Mon Sep 13 21:33:49 CDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 19:05 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 11:49:58AM +1000, James Gregory wrote:
>
> > Just on this, I expected that installing the packages would alter my X
> > config, like the livna packages for fedora. I was quite surprised when I
> > had to edit my X configuration (I was unaware that using the reconfigure
> > script would do that for me). I think the expectation for Joe User would
> > be that installing drivers makes the hardware work straight away.
>
> It's not clear to me how this would be implemented properly; I'd like to
> hear Fabio's input on it.

the livna packages make reference to a python script that does the work.
I don't know if it would be of any use, but it's probably worth
inspecting:

    http://rpm.livna.org/livna-switcher.html

> > Also, I managed to get them going but it's not automatically loading the
> > nvidia module. I ran update-modules, because there are nvidia files in
> > /etc/modules.whatever but still no joy. It's quite likely I've done
> > something "wrong", but I didn't get any clues as to what was "right".
>
> The module should be loaded automatically by hotplug at boot time; you
> should be able to run /etc/init.d/hotplug restart to trigger it without
> rebooting.

Ok. I'm not sure if hotplug was on there. I'll check tonight.

> > Finally (and this probably belongs in bugzilla but anyway), I upgraded my
> > kernel with apt and used apt to get the nvidia stuff. The nvidia package
> > installation complained that there was already stuff in
> > /lib/modules/`uname -r`. I thought to myself "of course there is!".
> > Anyway, it suggested that I move that dir out of the way and continue with
> > installation. Which I did. I eventually had to copy the old directory onto
> > the new one to get it to work.
>
> Can you be more specific?  Which package complained?  Do you have a
> transcript of the upgrade?

No I don't. I'll try to recreate the scenario over the next few days and
get you the transcript.

James.

--
James Gregory <james at james.id.au>