John on S8

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Mon Sep 13 16:27:42 CDT 2004

Colin Watson wrote:

>On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 03:15:49PM +0100, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
>

>>Colin Watson wrote:
>>

>>>We can probably get away without the mirror question in the case of
>>>security.
>>>

>>If we know we have a good mirror, why not use that for security too?
>>

>People (myself, for starters) often mirror the main archive but not
>security. For security uploads it's often a good idea to go straight to
>the main site.

Because some people pay for (excess) downloads?
Others have downloads charged against their "free" allocation and then
get throttled. ugh.
For many, local sites don't count. Here, ftp.wa.au.debian.org is on WAIX
and is free to clients of WAIX. Presumably, the Optusnet archive is free
to Optus clients.

One of the things I disliked about RHN was that I could not get updates
from my local mirror via RHN, even though they were there.

Local mirrors tend to be faster; a day or so ago I was downloading
something at 40K bytes/sec on a link capable of ~150.