2.4 vs 2.6

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Mon Sep 13 15:36:33 CDT 2004

Robert Collins wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 19:34 +1000, Cef wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:24, John wrote:
>>

>>>2.4 kernels outperform 2.6 at disk I/O on all systems I've tried them on.
>>>Knoppix 3.6  2.4 on the Ubuntu box 18.5
>>>             2.6                   15.5
>>>             2.4 on my SuSE box    30 SuSE manages 29.5
>>>             2.6                  <10
>>>

>>What are the figures measured in? Units please.
>>

>Also are they all tested on the same filesystem on the same physical
>partition?
>
>Rob

The figures are hdparm on the master block device, hda etc.
I'm using Knoppix 3.6 because
a) it's the latest
b) its the easiest way to get 2.4 and 2.6 kernels onto everything.

It does have a problem with the collection of stats.

I don't think testing with non-standard boot params is appropriate
because this is not how most people are going to run. Stuart, if you're
going to set everyone up with 'elevator=deadline,' then test that way.

A basic test is fine by me, it shows a probable problem that needs checking.