John on S8

Fabio Massimo Di Nitto fabbione at fabbione.net
Mon Sep 13 07:28:48 CDT 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 12:06:29PM +0100, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> > Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > >This is an issue to consider in itself.  The current approach gives
> > >the user no choice about using the network; once we do a security
> > >update for, say, the kernel, or XFree86, all installations from
> > >Internet-connected systems would need to download those packages,
> > >even if they're on a modem.  This seems like a potentially serious
> > >usability issue for many users.
> >
> > Yes, I agree there needs to be a question asked.
>
> We also add http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ (i.e. the regular archive,
> not security) at the moment. In that case, I strongly believe that we
> need to ask for a mirror.
>
> We can probably get away without the mirror question in the case of
> security.

I was discussing this issue with Colin on irc and he suggested correctly
to move it here.

Colin was suggesting to ask something like: "Do you want to download
updates from the network?"

We might want to ask if they want to enable security, but i don't think we
need to ask for anything more for the following reasons:

1 once we go final there will be no updates other than security (or
  almost) so i don't think that kind of question will make sence in a
  short time (plus it's not translated).

2 Asking for a mirror means adding at least 2 to 4 questions:  hostname /
  directory and possibily proxy (and in case of failure repeat all the
  above with a nice prompt telling the user: "hey the mirror isn't
  working!").  And as it is now, if the default can be reached we write
  the lines and that's it, otherwise we write them commented out.
  users can always run apt-setup and add more lines without losing what
  they have and getting the full set of questions.

3 If an admin is installing from a local mirror, he has the knowledge to
  modify the apt lines as they fit better in his environment.

Fabio

PS point 1 questions may vary according on how the user move trough the
   mirror selection questions.

--
<user> fajita: step one
<fajita> Whatever the problem, step one is always to look in the error log.