/tmp on tmpfs

James Gregory james at james.id.au
Sun Sep 12 21:13:17 CDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 18:52 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> > >Only if you store large files there.  G
> > >

> > See the first para you quoted.
>
> Right.  My point was, that is voluntary behaviour, and if you use a tmpfs
> /tmp, you would not do that, and you would use a different directory
> (/var/tmp is a good choice).  It's no reason to avoid tmpfs for /tmp.

I agree with the policy of using tmpfs -- it's a sane default in the
overwhelming majority of cases. For a desktop OS though, it's not smart
to expect users to change that default if they are (for example) burning
DVDs. Where does (for example) nautilus-cd-burner dump its temporary
ISOs when burning CDs? If we are to go with tmpfs then I guess really we
should be configuring those apps so that they will use something
like /var/tmp. The really compelling reason for doing that to my mind
anyway is that you're less likely to run out of disk space in /var than
you are in swap.

James.

--
James Gregory <james at james.id.au>