John on S8

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Sun Sep 12 19:40:58 CDT 2004

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 06:49:43AM +0800, John wrote:

> Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> >Not sure if we can do anything about this; it does try.  I assume that
> >eject(1) doesn't work after installation either?  Is the hardware capable
> >of
> >ejecting the CD?
>
> Stage 1 did it. Eject on Sarge worked. I've been using the box for a
> year or two, I'd know if that was the problem. Eject works now.

I now notice that you were talking about stage 2.  Stage 2 doesn't require
the CD at all, and if you inserted it independently, there's no reason for
the install process to spontaneously eject it.

> > [smartmontools]
> >I've added this to the list of potential features for Hoary; it's something
> >we should look into.
> >
> You also need to provide a means of updating it regularly; at present
> adding new drives entails changing source and rebuilding.

It certainly doesn't sound that way from the smartd.conf man page.  Are you
sure?

> >>While many (all?) system config tools interact with sudo, I've not found
> >>a purely GUI way of (eg) changing /etc/apt/source.list.
> >
> >Computer->System Configuration->Synaptic Package
> >Manager->Preferences->Repositories
> >
> I did say "eg." There are lots more text files.

I'm afraid I don't see your point, then.  Did you mean to point out that
there exist text configuration files on the system for which there is no GUI
configuration tool?

--
 - mdz