sounder 8, JS on Swap

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Sun Sep 12 17:38:32 CDT 2004

Pls don't CC me, I don't see the point of ccing anyone on this
_discussion_ list.

Steve McIntyre wrote:

>On Sun, Sep 12, 2004 at 06:27:54PM +0800, John wrote:
>

>>Steve McIntyre wrote:
>>

>>Some argument about how necessarily dragging the heads over most of the
>>disk is quicker than instead of (likely) a small part of it is a good
>>starting-point.
>>
>>I'd love to hear a well-reasoned argment about how the heads get from
>>the outer edge to the inner edge  than they get from the same starting
>>point to any point between.
>>
>>If someone can make a coherent argument, then it's time to try it.
>>

>You are aware that a typical modern hard disk actually exposes very
>little of its internal geometry to the world, surely? The range of
>LBAs that you address over the IDE/SCSI cable could well be scattered
>across multiple platters, multiple heads or (depending on the
>particular setup) even multiple drives. Trying to second-guess the
>physical layout of data is generally a mug's game...

Of course, but until someone who knows these things explains that (and
why) the LBA-order is different from the CC-HH-RR order then I will
assume ithey are the same. RAID is different, but I'm not taling about RAID.

Unless you have better information, this is nothing more than a red herring.