John on S8

Colin Watson cjwatson at canonical.com
Sun Sep 12 13:25:31 CDT 2004

On Sun, Sep 12, 2004 at 10:47:30AM -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 12, 2004 at 09:22:08PM +0800, John wrote:
> > The assumption computers clocks are set to UTC is unsound.
>
> The defaults are oriented toward a system where Ubuntu is the only installed
> operating system (hence the "erase entire disk" default as well), where UTC
> is a reasonable choice.

I wonder if we could use the other-installed-operating-system facilities
in d-i to decide whether to ask this question. While it's a sane default
for the situation where Ubuntu's the only installed OS, it's an insane
default when you're dual-booting to Windows, and pretty arguable when
you're dual-booting to other Linux systems. Since the facilities exist
to inspect the situation, we aren't constrained to picking one default.

> > Why ask about configuring ppp during boot? We're installing from CD.
>
> Agreed, we shouldn't be asking this question when installing from CD.
> Colin, is this trivial to fix?

We ask this question for exactly the same reason that we configure
networking during installation rather than leaving it to the user to set
it up with the GNOME tools after installation: it allows us to make a
best effort to download security updates at install time rather than
potentially installing something insecure out of the box and hoping that
the user will update later.

It isn't asked if you have some other network connection configured.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                    [cjwatson at canonical.com]