Warty8 on an Inspiron 8000: success!

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at gotadsl.co.uk
Sat Sep 11 19:38:51 CDT 2004

OK, this time it worked :)  The questions in the installer about locale
seem better organised now, and not needing to re-insert the CD is good.

I had some problems with X on warty 6 and 7, but now it worked
perfectly!   When I was asked what resolution I wanted, 640x480, 800x600
and 1024x768 were marked, while the rest were not. Several of the
available choices were for wide screen or larger than my display, but
those were not marked. My actual resolution 1400x1050 was available, but
not market. I selected that and left the original selections in place
and proceeded. I was pleased to see that it started perfectly at
1400x1050 with good colour depth.

One detail: when you click on 'About Ubuntu' from the Computer menu, it
brings up the web page in gedit, not in firefox. I assume this is
because gedit is configured to be the default editor for HTML files. I'm
not exactly sure what end-user profile you have decided on for Ubuntu,
but it looks very main stream, so I would think it would be best to open
any web page in firefox, not gedit, even those stored locally.  I would
guess that most people who know how to edit an HTML page would be able
to change such defaults to their liking, but less technical users would
prefer to just view a web page that they have saved in a browser.

Firefox has mozilla/products/firefox as it's homepage, but this should
possibly be the Ubuntu page?

All in all, looking good!

- Henrik