Multimedia support [Was: Release8 reportinstallation]

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at canonical.com
Fri Sep 10 02:07:10 CDT 2004

Hi Jeff!

On 2004-09-10 16:57 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > how can it be that this totem thingy refuses to play even the simplest
> > MPEG-2 movie?
>  - we can't ship xine due to patent encumberances
>  - we can't ship a number of gstreamer plugins due to patent encumberances
>  - playing even the simplest MPEG-2 movie requires serious patent licensing
>    insanity

Of course, you are right. If I see a lawyer today, I will... Never
mind.

Any idea how we can tell the user about that? Many users will not know
about these patent issues, a friend of mine happily uses his Win Media
Player and always bitches about "that Linux that cannot play my
movies". I told him about that patent crap and he understood, but
still there should be a prominent place that explains this. Maybe a
dialog box if the application is started the first time? This could
also point to more capable alternatives.

Thanks,

Martin
--
Martin Pitt                 Debian GNU/Linux Developer
martin at piware.de                      mpitt at debian.org
http://www.piware.de             http://www.debian.org