Sounder 8 installation notes

James Gregory james at james.id.au
Fri Sep 10 00:00:55 CDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 20:28 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 12:41:41PM +1000, James Gregory wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 19:30 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > > OK.  When you have a chance, take a look at /boot/grub/devices.map as well,
> > > and see if its idea of your BIOS drive layout makes any sense (send a copy
> > > here as well).
> >
> > It contains this:
> >
> > (hd0)   /dev/hde
> > (hd1)   /dev/hdg
> >
> > Which matches my expectations.
>
> OK, and to confirm: /dev/hde and /dev/hdg match the order of the drives that
> the BIOS detects during initialization (most modern BIOSes print the model
> of the disk when detecting them)?

Both disks are identical. I know that the hd0 => /dev/hde mapping is
sound because booting after having setup grub does give me the error,
and hde/hd0 is the drive I have configured as the boot device. Had it
installed to the wrong drive, I would not have got the grub error; I
would have got a lilo prompt (from the lilo install that fedora had done
previously), or potentially nothing.

James.

--
James Gregory <james at james.id.au>