John's S7 report

Colin Watson cjwatson at canonical.com
Thu Sep 9 08:47:15 CDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 09:30:02PM +0800, John wrote:
> Booted okay, didn't get to choose my kbd layout.

That one's a deliberate choice. Expert mode lets you set it.

> The disk aready had a Debian derivitave so I as happy to use existing
> partitions.
>
> However, it would have been nice to be offered the chance to resize and
> preserve my existing system.

You should be able to do that in manual partitioning, although ext3
resizing was only fixed after Sounder 8.

> When I booted, I specified 'vga=791." This worked well, and I would like
> to have seen it propogated to my grub configuration.

Joey Hess has done work in Debian to make that happen; pulling it into
Ubuntu is on my to-do list.

> This peecee is not connected to any LAN; it seems odd to be forced to
> configure a network.

We're doing that for Warty as a stopgap measure because there's no
second-stage network configurator before packages are installed. It will
probably change later.

> I was promised a chance to set the root password, didn't get a chance
> actually set it.

That's been fixed in Sounder 8.

> On reboot, it asked me to reinsert the U CD and asked me which device.
> How the hell should I know? "The" CD drive, there's only one. If there's
> a choice, how about spitting out the tray and telling the user "that CD
> drive?"

That's been fixed in Sounder 8, as the announcement said.

> I noticed it setting up some imaginary firewire. Seemed pointless to me.

That should have been fixed in Sounder 8.

> Eventually, I found it accidently in System Preferences!! I couldn't
> actually do it because it wants root's password. root hasn't a password.

That's been fixed in Sounder 8.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                    [cjwatson at canonical.com]