Installation report, my new laptop

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at canonical.com
Wed Sep 8 20:57:12 CDT 2004

Hey all,

New laptop arrived today, installation with Sounder 8 was "interesting".
It's a Dell X300, very Centrino but has a Broadcom (tg3) wired NIC. The
CD-ROM is attached via the 'mediabase' base station, which *appears* to be
USB-oriented. Not sure yet, still investigating.

Here goes:

1. Language = English

2. Country = Australia

3. Big red background, "Detect and mount CD-ROM: An installation step
   failed." Hitting continue drops me back to the installer main menu, so I
   try that step again. It dives straight into the next step, loading the
   installer components as if nothing happened! Wacky. Colin's gone to bed,
   but I can run through this again with live coverage. :-)

4. Network autodetection ran fine, it correctly chose the tg3 driver for my
   Broadcom wired NIC.

5. Disk partitioning, manual because I want to have a separate /home.

6. Big red background, "Copy packges to hard disk: An installation step
   failed." Trying this again did not work.

7. Chose to install the base system from the main menu, "Debootstrap Error:
   Failed getting Release file /cdrom/dists//Release." Weird, it doesn't
   know the release name.

At which point, I can't really do much within the menu to fix things up.
D'oh!

- Jeff

--
What's all that about?                           http://www.no-name-yet.com/

    "And the only time I met George W Bush, he said to me, 'Hey Mike! Go
              find real work.' Of all people!" - Michael Moore