Desktop usability: how to unmount devices?

Sivan debaddict at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 7 14:30:10 CDT 2004

--- Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at canonical.com> wrote:
> 6. Add a small icon to the desktop if a device is
> mounted. Left-click could
>    bring up a Nautilus window with the content,
> right-click the usual context
>    menu with the unmount option. Same error box here
> if device is busy.
>    + safe and consistent
>    + MacOS X does this (and they probably know
> something about easy user
>      interfaces)
>    + GNOME standard
>    + this approach does not really require to
> immediately open a Nautilus
>      window (which might annoy people, including me
> :-) )
>    - Icons might be covered by windows
>    - Additional Desktop icons do not fit into the
> current Desktop policy

Well, as I have some fellow MacOS X people I'd like
also to show there IS a good , little to zero learning
time alternative, I'd stick to this :) .

IMHO the best solution we that can be thought of
currently, as well as doesn't have the annoying window
opening in the face (much like the annoyinh "what to
do with it" window on windows).

As I am a real fan of standards, I think it being a
GNOME standard is a plus too (making it common even
among other linux users coming from other distros) and
I think this greatly simplifies things for the real
layman. As this is supposed to be the more spreading
debina for the less bold :), I support Martin's
approach.

Sivan

Sivan