Some points/issues to discuss about the desktop

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at canonical.com
Tue Sep 7 05:55:54 CDT 2004

<quote who="Mark Shuttleworth">

> > It's interesting to hear some of the results of recent Nautilus
> > releases, with people tidying up their previously manageable (but
> > hideously messy) home directories. Why? Well, they were only using
> > terminals before.  :-)
>
> This is why I wanted to introduce Documents.
>
> We should introduce Documents, pre-populated with Photos, Music, Work type
> directories. New users will naturally put things in the right places. And
> old users will start to move their stuff into the right places, to clean
> up their home dirs. Will plan properly for Hoary on this stuff, and get
> community feedback.

Again, this is better done by making use of the Home folder itself, not
inventing a new place for it. In fact, that's the primary reason why people
found their files so much easier to manage - their Home directory suddenly
became useful again! The Documents folder has its purpose, as does the Home
folder, and I see no reason to diverge from the developing de-facto standard
in this area.

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia                http://linux.conf.au/