Shut down (on a laptop)

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Mon Sep 6 16:09:40 CDT 2004

On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 05:01:15PM +0100, Jenny Blower wrote:

> excuse the non-geek speak.. but..
>
> i've been using warty on a laptop, and when i'm shutting the machine down
> i'm now just getting a blank screen, instead of the 'blurb' i used to
> get.. this is great, except for one small thing.. the mahcine itself
> doesn't actually turn off automatically, so i'm having to guess as to when
> it's finished!

I'm still getting this on my ThinkPad T42 with the 2.6.8.1 kernel (I was
hoping it might be fixed).  I wonder if a newer ACPI patch would help.

Thom, do you have this issue on your X40, and did it help when you were
running an update ACPI patch?

> any chance of a nice 'its safe to turn off now' message/screen?

Normally, if the system is unable to turn off the power itself, it prints a
"Power off" message at the bottom of the screen when it's finished.  In this
case, it's _partially_ turning off the power (so the screen goes black, and
you wouldn't see the message), but it somehow isn't finishing the job.

--
 - mdz