inetd

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Mon Sep 6 12:31:47 CDT 2004

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 05:16:55PM +0800, John wrote:

> I personally prefer xinetd over inetd.
> Has the group considered xinetd?
> Does what you propose break xinetd?
>
> Note that if xinetd were the standard super daemon, packages would
> a) depend on it
> b) Plonk their config file into /etc/xinetd.d
> c) Not need scripts to run update-inetd or equivalent.
>
> Seems to me a much nicer way to go for packagers, maintainers, sysadmins
> and those who want to hack on the superserver's  configuration.

update-inetd should support xinetd somehow, so that users can choose which
they prefer.  That might be a good project for Hoary.  It sounds like we
won't be able to eliminate inetd from base for Warty because it was pointed
out that some packages still rely on the netbase->netkit-inetd dependency to
work, but I'd definitely like to do that much for Hoary.  No point in having
a root daemon sitting around doing nothing.

--
 - mdz